Thursday 5 May 2011

VOTE!

Today is the day of the referendum. My facebook has been flooded with statuses telling me to vote (in the main) Yes (not sure why they felt the need to capitalise it, but hey ho) and I am very happy about this. Not because I am voting 'Yes', but simply because it means that people are voting!

In the most recent general election there was a 65.1% turnout with 29,653,638 votes cast (http://www.general-election-2010.co.uk/2010-general-election-results.html). And we all know it is the young people who don't vote. But you should vote! It doesn't matter whether you are voting yes or no, I couldn't care less WHAT you're voting I'm just asking you to vote!

I do understand the argument that if you don't understand what you are voting for you shouldn't waste your vote at all, however it only takes a google search and about 5 minutes of reading to get your head around whether you like AV or you like FFTP.

I went down to my local polling station at 3 o'clock and I was the only person there. I was told by the people working there it had been 'very quiet', their half finished sudokus and cups of tea said it all. It made me so sad. Voting is YOUR right given to you by YOUR government!

I reckon it comes down to this:
If you love England... VOTE
If you hate England... VOTE
If you love the Government...VOTE
If you hate the Government...VOTE
If you're ambivalent...stop being such a waste of space, no one likes people with no opinions

We are lucky to live in country where we can vote, regardless of gender, race etc. It's easy to think 'one person won't make a difference' but if everyone had that mentality... Plus, this is YOUR vote, don't throw it away! Incidentally we have no excuse the polling station is open today from 7am- 10pm.

Please, please, please vote. It does matter, your opinion matters! If you do vote, I'll shut up and I'll give you cookies :)

If you're unsure, this website is amazing and you can even link it to our national obsession facebook!

http://wrangl.com/av


P.S I voted no. Soz guys. I'm not a worthy student.

P.P.S Doesn't matter if you vote yes or no, just vote!!!

No comments: