Wednesday 12 January 2011

BOOK VERSUS FILM: Heated Debate.

I haven't really watched many films. This is a revelation that came to me today. I might be one of the only people in the country whose read 'The Princess Bride' but not seen the film. I don't mean this is in a 'superior-tv-rots-your-brain' sort of way, but in a genuine kind of 'what-do-i-do-with-my-time?' way. I watched The Beach today (Leonardo Di Capro looks phenomenal, very young) but I didn't really like it. Compared to the book, it wasn't much. The book was one of my obsessions. I didn't dislike the film I just didn't think it was as good as it could have been. I'm not saying I could have done a better job, I just thought it could have been even better given the material they were working from (the book).

So leads me on to a book versus film debate.

So here goes (if you disagree with me, feel free to tell me, but I'll just shout you down)

AMERICAN PYSCHO: Christian Bale is outrageously good in the film, but overall Bret Easton Ellis is the master. Book.

FIGHT CLUB
: Book's not bad. But, overall, Brad Pitt in the '90s? Film.

THE BEACH: Both brilliant. But book.

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD: Gregory Peck is wonderful, but Harper Lee is such an excellent writer. Book.

REBECCA:
My boyfriend thinks the Hitchcock film is genius but I would go for book everytime because of 'Last night I dreamt of Manderley' if nothing else. Book.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS: Brilliant story but I really don't like Dickens. Sorry. Film.

HARRY POTTER:
Now, this is a controversial one. I love Harry Potter books and films. But overall, it's got to be Films for me. Sorry.

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD: Richard Yates- loved the book. Saw the film- most boring pile of wank. Book.

THE READER:
Both excellent and I do really enjoy Kate Winslet. Overall, book though.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Reading the book was like wrestling with someone I couldn't see. Difficult. Watching the film was brilliant escapism. Film.

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA: One of my favourite books as a teenager. Absolute monstrosity of a film. Book.

MATILDA: Not even going to have a debate here. Roald Dahl everytime. Book.

ATONEMENT: I do like the film, Keira Knightley is less annoying than usual and I like how the film is shot. (Not that I know anything about it). But, the subtle nuances (sorry I am an English undergraduate) of the book are what makes it brilliant and ultimately they're lost in the film. Book.

TRAINSPOTTING:
I found the Irvine Welsh book difficult and irritating. The film is brilliant. Film.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S: I like Truman Capote. I really do. But, I love Audrey Hepburn. Film.

I CAPTURE THE CASTLE: This is probably my favourite book of all time. I was quite worried about the film, would I hate it? Would it ruin the book? I love the film, I think it's brilliant and faithful to the book and the characterisation is beautiful. But, overall, book.

I know a little about books and even less about film but I think it's always go to express your under informed opinions. In fact, if I didn't, you probably wouldn't be reading this because the blog probably wouldn't exist.

No comments: